Synagogue Beit Tfilah Benyamin

Про об'єкт

  • Розташування
  • filter_popup.chernivtsi
  • filter_popup.ukraine
  • filter_popup.chernivtsi_oblast
  • filter_popup.judaism

This synagogue was built in 1923 on the initiative of the Jewish religious society “Prayer house Benyamin, his wife Pesi Beila and their son Dr. Mordechai.” A member of the society, local merchant Benyamin Shapiro, donated the land for construction. In 1938 the synagogue was officially registered by the Romanian authorities.

Around this time the synagogue interior was re-decorated with a new layer of wall paintings. In autumn 1941 – winter 1942 the synagogue and the surrounding area became part of the Jewish ghetto. After 1945 it was among three synagogues that Soviet authorities allowed to function. From the 1960s thorugh the 1980s it was the only functioning synagogue in Chernivtsi.

Official services were renewed in 1994 when Noah Kofmanskyi (1946-2018) became the rabbi. Until 2011 the synagogue was the only active Jewish religious institution in the city.


Значок "Перевірено спільнотою"

Моделі

Галереї